IBNA Minutes 6-4-2011

Minutes

Board of Directors Meeting

June 04, 2011

 

9:13AM Meeting Called to order. Quorum Present.

Members Present: Michael Hamman, Jill Fox, Bob Lake, Richard Laufman, Sue Ellen Smith.

Members Absent: Kathryn Altamore, Brian Stott, Pauline Peele, & Robert Van Houten

 

9:15AM Approval of 5/7/11 Meeting Minutes: RL made motion to approve; BL seconded; all approved.

 

9:16AM Chairman’s Report:

MH reported on IBNA’s 5/17/11 meeting w/ Sup. Malia Cohen @ City Hall. JF & SES offered input, and discussion ensued re strategies to maintain a good working relationship w/ our supervisor.

 

9:27AM Treasurer’s Report:

RVH submitted financial spreadsheet via e-mail in advance of mtg. MH passed on that KA needs to submit Egg Hunt permit to RVH, & a mtg re the Cottage Fund needs to be scheduled (w/ Alex Lantsberg present).

 

9:32AM Secretary’s Report:

    1. Correspondence:

Board reviewed and discussed TY letter & memo that went to Sup. Malia Cohen. Also, all TY letters re Egg Hunt have gone out, except for Tom (?).

 

9:35AM Other Reports:

    1. Update on Web Site: MH will speak to Steve re updating website, and adding section w/ .pdfs of mtg minutes. Also, KA & RVH need to submit bios to include on website.
    2. Update on Membership: BS reports to MH “no new members,” & that BS will prod past biz members into renewing memberships via a new e-blast targeting those lapsed members.

 

 

9:50AM Old Business:

    1. Do we want to buy a canopy: MH submitted Issue Briefing Paper (IBP) research on this topic, and board members agreed to table the discussion to next mtg.
    2. Establish format for meeting w/ Joanna Rees: Board agrees that using the “Top 3” issue format used w/ Dennis Herrera, Michela Alioto-Pier, and Malia Cohen worked well, and want to use this format for all politico mtgs. JF suggests a standard question: after which recent mayor would you model your style as a mayor? MH will begin mtg w/ gen’l overview, then move mtg into the Top 3 topics.
    3. Should we ask other major candidates to visit with us? Board discussed this, and unanimously decided that No, we will not seek out meetings w/ candidates, but if approached, of course we will accept. Since Dennis Herrera approached IBNA, additional candidates have been following suit.

 

10:05AM New Business:

    1. Discuss possible mtg w/ Mayor Lee: After discussion, board asks MH to approach Mayor Lee’s staff re arranging a mtg.
    2. Discuss possible appearance b/4 the Redevelopment Commission re funding the Area “C” EIR: MH met w/ Kofi Bonner of Lennar, & Kofi suggested IBNA consider making an appearance. MH will investigate the possibility of doing this so IBNA can lobby for completing the EIR.
    3. Discussion of the 6/25/11 BlueGreenway Bicycle Tour: JF reports that on 6/25/11, a bicycle tour of the BlueGreenway will run from Warm Water Cove, Shoreline Park, through the Shipyard, and ending at Candlestick. JF suggests that IBNA “table” the event to provide more info about our group and its vision for the area. MH, RL & SES agree to assist w/ tabling, & JF to get visual materials back from BS.
    4. Should we seek a grant for Shoreline Park improvements: JF needs assistance from other board members, if IBNA wants to pursue funding opportunities; otherwise, JF will apply for funding if her time allows her to complete & submit a proposal.
    5. Should we continue doing the walking tours: JF needs help publicizing the walking tours. MH to check w/ PP re her contacts w/ other local groups. Discussion about tying in walking tours w/ the “IBNA 3rd Fridays” @ Speakeasy Brewery. Next date will be 7/15. MH to talk to Forrest re offering a free beer token to those who take the walking tour.
    6. Authorize expenditure for new postcards: Board discussed printing costs for more postcards. JF reports that Macial Printers, right here in our neighborhood, will match the price of VistaPrint, and they are “green” printers. RL made motion, SES seconded, and all approved an expenditure by JF of up to $200 to get as many postcards as possible.

 

10:31AM Future Agendas.

a. Word Press / html update for website

b. Canopy

c. Move next meeting to 7/9/11, due to 4th of July holiday weekend.

 

10:35AM Adjournment. Meeting opened to general membership.

 

11:05AM Meet with Joanna Rees, Mayoral candidate, to discuss issues of IBNA concern.

    1. Future Development
    2. Acquisitions of Parcels for parks, urban farms, etc.
    3. Quality of Life (city services, programs, etc.)

 

Successful informal mtg w/ Joanna Rees & her aide John Barriere. Joanna Rees was very familiar with IBNA’s Community Vision, and was impressed with the quality of work contained in it. Ms. Rees endorsed IBNA’s community vision.